IARC serves our nation and the international Arctic research community by building an integrated understanding of the Arctic, as a system, with clear and accurate conceptualization of the role of the Arctic in the broader global system.
Established in 1999, IARC supports Arctic research, coordination and communication to help the nation and the world understand, prepare for and adapt to the impacts of climate change in the Arctic and beyond. Learn more about our history
- Collaborations: 107 scientists, analysts, students and professional staff with interests that span physical, biological and social sciences.
- Projects: 150 research projects that investigate all elements of the arctic system, including ocean, ice, atmosphere, land, and society.
- Value: For every one dollar invested in IARC from the state of Alaska we earn four dollars through competitive research grants, partnerships and other contracts.
Foster Arctic research in an international setting to help the nation and the international community understand, prepare for, and adapt to the pan-Arctic impacts of climate change. Specifically:
- Analyze, synthesize and provide Arctic climate information, including Arctic Ocean hydrographic information for scientists, students, decision-makers, and the public
- Support and coordinate Arctic System Modeling, by providing a nexus for model validation and assessment and by exploratory development of new component modules
- Serve as a “gateway” or Arctic Climate Science Coordination Center to Alaska and other research sites for the Arctic research community through international project offices, secretariat functions, and the coordination of targeted synthesis workshops, with special attention to collaboration with international scientists and institutions.
Statement on Diversity and Inclusivity
At IARC, we value a culture of inclusion that leverages the research, educational and institutional benefits of diversity, and engages all individuals to help each thrive. Our strength and success as a research institute and university are built on the foundation of a wide range of perspectives and experiences.