- This event has passed.
Water Day at IARC
Friday, Nov 8, 2019 at 1:30 pm–2:30 pm
People of all ages are invited to the International Arctic Research Center to learn about water. Undergraduate students in the class Introduction to Watershed Management (NRM 370) will lead fun, hands-on, mind-on exploration of models and games that relate to watersheds. The public activities will take place from 1:30 – 2:30 pm in the Akasofu lobby. During an earlier portion of the event, the NRM 370 students will also teach Watershed Charter School 8th graders to be water wise.
• Awesome Aquifer Model – explore surface and ground water interactions and properties of porosity and permeability
• Color me a Watershed – share your favorite waterbody while learning about mapping
• EnviroScape Model – make a visual and playful connection between land use, water quality, and pollution prevention.
• Just Passing Through – time the flow of water through different soils to discover the importance of infiltration.
• Blue Planet – the blue marble we live on is made of mostly water. Try your hand at probability: water or land?
• Drop in the Bucket – how much clean, fresh water is available? Listen carefully and you might hear a precious drop of water.
• Water Pollution Filtration – make some polluted water with household supplies, then design and test a filter to clean it.
• Incredible Journey – become a water molecule and flip some dice to decide your fate in the never-ending water cycle.