Prerequisites for field research
Safe conduct in the field is absolutely critical for our work, with the safety and well-being of all members of the field team being the prime concern.
Moreover, in the recent past, some agencies (such as the Dept. of Homeland Security) have implemented a no-tolerance policy with respect to field safety violations that can result in shutdown of all projects across the university if field safety violations are found to have occurred in a single instance.
Research plan guidance regarding COVID-19
June 2021—Guidance for preparation of COVID-related research safety plans for fieldwork summer 2021 fieldwork. Includes:
- common mitigation measures
- how to address and report illness in the field or lab
- contact for work-related testing
- submission requirements
Every effort is made to provide the most current information, but please note that guidance and policy may be revised with changes in community conditions.
The document is not intended to replace remote travel plans required for fieldwork, but instead to complement planning efforts.
Before you go: field trip leaders
- File a UAF Field Emergency Plan
- Ensure that all members of your field party have reviewed all documents related to field safety, including the Field Code of Conduct, Remote Travel Form, and Remote Travel Plan Guide
- Complete a Job Hazard Analysis to help determine required safety equipment, training, or other items needed to ensure team safety
In addition to the basic safety training required by all UAF employees, you may require additional training based on the location or nature of your research. Learn more about planning for field research, including forms and training opportunities.
If you are sending students into field research settings that are not under IARC/UAF leadership (i.e., where students would not be part of the filing and sharing of a code of conduct document) then you are responsible for following the guidelines in the Title IX Reference Guide Packet for Student Placement.
Before you go: field party members
- Provide information to field trip leader on emergency contacts and other information
- Review field emergency plan and IARC field code of conduct
- Take relevant training, such as safe use of power tools